Mobile app development software
General app development costs
This post is primarily about apps for for mobilizing business processes, but if you are interested in the more general topic of app development costs here are some pointers:
A survey of IT professionals conducted in 2013 by AnyPresence, a backend-as-a-service company, asked about the initial cost of developing a typical mobile application. Over half reported spending more than three months and over $50, 000 developing a typical app. Very nearly a quarter reported spending over $100, 000.
App development company Propelics specializes in iPad apps and posted a very informative blog post in December 2011 with a breakdown of iPad app development costs. This is recommended reading on the difference between consumer and enterprise apps. In a nutshell, Propelics describes three levels of complexity in enterprise apps corresponding to three price ranges:
- Simple Enterprise iPad App Development Cost: , 000 (+/- 20%)
- Medium Enterprise iPad App Development Cost: 0, 000 (+/- 20%)
- Complex Enterprise iPad App Development Cost: $150, 000 (and up)
Features that bump an app into the $100, 000 range include a branded and highly tuned user experience, and integration that leverages your existing enterprise capabilities. For real-time integration, mobile device management (MDM) and mobile application management (MAM) infrastructure, you enter the $150, 000+ category.
It’s safe to assume that using traditional development techniques to create a cross-platform enterprise app won’t come in under £100K.
He lays out a grid splitting out costs for design, development and testing on one, two or three platforms for four app categories. Here are some example estimates (converted from GBP to USD for comparison to other estimates here):
- An app that extracts data from a database and displays it in a simple list can be expected to take 4-8 weeks to create at a cost of $26, 000 on a single platform.
- An app with more complex server-side integration and offline data caching will probably take 8-12 weeks and cost $71, 000 to develop for two platforms.
- A full-scale enterprise automation app with integration to business processes will take anything from 3-6 months and may cost over $150, 000 to develop on three platforms.
The head of digital for a major UK interactive agency shut the door and slid the iPad across the table with a pained smile. Her team had developed an app for a major financial services firm. $140, 000 and six months later they were about to start again. The client was, unsurprisingly, unhappy.
Companies are under tremendous pressure to develop and deploy mobile apps for their business systems, yet the traditional approach to mobile app development typically costs $250K+ and takes 6+ months for a single app.
Based upon complexity, the initial costs to develop a native enterprise application for one mobile device platform can range from $50, 000 to $250, 000. Those costs grow exponentially if you need that app to support multiple mobile device platforms.
You might also like
AWD - IDE/Code Editor for WEB
Mobile Application (Black Overlord Soft)
Konstant Infosolutions launches revamped blog — WhaTech
Konstant Infosolutions is a leading web and mobile solutions provider with certifications and awards from several leading research as one of the top mobile app development firms in India.