Java mobile application development
Connected Device Configuration (CDC) applications are designed to run on mobile and embedded devices with at least 2MB of memory. This configuration supports a more feature-rich JVM than MIDP-based mobile phones, which typically have much less memory and use the Connected Limited Device Configuration (CLDC). This tutorial shows you how to use NetBeans IDE to create a Java Platform, Micro Edition (Java ME platform) CDC application. We show you how to create a Java ME CDC project that displays a simple form in a device emulator for the three available CDC profiles. This document is designed to get you creating applications as quickly as possible.
To complete this tutorial, you need the following software and resources:
Supported CDC Emulator Platforms
The NetBeans IDE supports the Java ME SDK 3.2 for the Windows operating system. The Java ME SDK 3.2 allows you to develop CDC applications. Note that different CDC emulator platforms support different development profiles. The main development profiles and the emulators that support them are:
- Personal Profile (Nokia) is the most popular profile for smartphone development (more info)
Installing Oracle Java ME SDK (on Windows)
- Click the Accept License Agreement option.
- Download the oracle_java_me_sdk-3_2.exe installer file and save it to any location on your computer.
- Double-click the installer file to run the installer, and follow the instructions.
When the installation is complete, the Java (TM) ME Platform SDK 3.2 Device Manager icon appears in the Windows system tray.
- Choose Tools > Java Platforms.
The Java Platform Manager dialog box displays.
- Click Add Platform.
- In the Select Platform Type step of the Add Java Platform wizard, select Java ME CDC Platform Emulator and click Next.
The IDE displays the Choose Platform Folder step.
- Select the directory you installed the Java ME SDK Platform to (for example, C:\Java_ME_Platform_SDK_3.2) and click Next.
- In the Platform Name panel of the Add Java Platform wizard, ensure the platform you selected in the previous step is chosen and click Finish.
The Oracle Java ME CDC Platform is now registered in the Netbeans IDE.
- In the Java Platform Manager dialog box, click Close.
You might also like
Useful tips for an enterprise mobile app development company — WhaTech
Given URL is not allowed by the Application configuration.: One or more of the given URLs is not allowed by the App's settings. It must match the Website URL or Canvas URL, or the domain must be a subdomain of one of the App's domains.