Windows mobile development certificates
Why code sign an application?
- Mobile operators worldwide require applications to be code signed so they can be distributed through their distribution channels.
- Application code signing is a standard practice on a variety of operating systems, including Windows Mobile, Windows Server and Windows Client.
- Help avoid user confusion and potentially costly product returns or technical support issues when a user attempts to install or run an application that has not been appropriately signed.
- Signing helps assure that your application is authentic by associating it with a developer or independent software vendor (ISV) whose identity is confirmed.
- Code signing also helps improve user trust through a system of checks and balances that enables the certificates for malicious code to be revoked.
- A warning is presented to users when an application is not signed or when an application has limited rights and attempts to access more protected areas of the operating system. This creates an undesirable user experience and users have the choice to cancel application installation or cancel the application at runtime.
How do you code sign an application?
Code signing also controls access to sensitive APIs and registry locations.
|Authentication Level||Pocket PC or Professional||Smartphone or Standard|
|Privileged-signed||Application can use normal and privileged APIs, modify secure registry locations and run pre-boot|
|Application can use normal and privileged APIs and modify secure registry locations||Application can use normal APIs|
|Mobile Operator policies or the user may prevent the application from installing|
Which certificate model do you need?
How much does it cost?
- The initial cost is US $350, which includes ten signing events. Authenticode signatures for other Windows platforms, such as Windows Client or Windows Server, use a different technology than Windows Mobile code signing and are not recognized as valid normal or privileged mode signatures.
- A signing event includes signing all of the executables in a single .CAB file.
Privileged Mode Requests
VeriSign or GeoTrust Privileged Mode Requests
- Developers must complete the Privileged Mode On-Line Request Form, which is available once you have a VeriSign account, and log on to the VeriSign ACS portal. Completion of the On-Line Request Form does not guarantee that a privileged mode code-signing certificate will be granted.
You might also like
Sush Mobile acquired by Finzsoft — Voxy
Parent company, Finzsoft Solutions Limited has continually engaged Sush Mobile's development services in the past to provide the powerful front-end mobile component to the mission critical banking and financial solutions it offers its customers ..
What % of mobile developers use Macs vs Windows PCs?
At the two companies I have worked for with mobile teams, both groups have had MacBook Pros regardless if you were and Android or iOS developer. This makes sense because many developers can work on both platforms and priorities can shift quickly. Also, as a side note, every other team at both companies had PCs